24 Lyttleton Street
Launceston TAS 7250
Telephone 03 6335 3333
Calvary Health Care Tasmania St Luke's CampusLCMHC Home
You may be admitted to St Luke’s as one of the following:
- In-patient (when you stay in hospital overnight, in a hospital bed)
- Day surgery/day procedure patient (you have an operation or procedure then go home the same day)
Admission Date / Time
Admission times at Calvary vary and are usually arranged by your doctor at the time of booking your hospital stay. If you have not been given a time please ring your doctor.
Unless your doctor/anaesthetist gives you special instructions do not eat or drink anything after:
- Midnight for morning surgery or
- 8.00am for afternoon surgery (a light breakfast such as tea and toast is permitted before 8.00am)
What to Bring
On day of admission please bring:
- All forms, letters, and requests from your doctor
- All prescription, non-prescription and complementary medicines you are currently taking (in original packaging)
- Prescriptions (especially authority prescriptions)
- Printed list of current medicines from your GP or pharmacist
- X-rays and scans (your surgery may be cancelled if x-rays or scans needed for your surgery are not available)
- Medicare card and health fund details
- Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) card,
- Department of Defence Service Provider advice slip, pension/health care card, pharmaceutical entitlements card (if applicable)
- Letter of approval for Worker’s Compensation, MAIB or public liability claims (if applicable)
- Compression or TED stockings if you already have them
- Any other items e.g. crutches/abdominal corsets as instructed by your doctor
- Reading material
- Comfortable, loose fitting clothes or nightwear, slippers/footwear
We advise you to leave valuables such as jewellery, large amounts of cash (unless you are paying an excess or co-payment on admission) and electronic items at home as we cannot accept responsibility for them if they are lost or stolen.
We suggest that you clearly label your belongings with your full name.
On arrival at the hospital please check in at the main reception of the stated campus.
- Smoke for 24 hours before admission – please talk to your doctor if you require nicotine replacement treatment during your stay in hospital
- Chew gum or suck lozenges while fasting
- Wear jewellery including piercings (a wedding ring is permitted)
- Wear make-up or nail polish (false nails are permitted but are discouraged)
- Use talcum powder on day of the procedure
Please shower before you come to the hospital.
Calvary St Luke’s Campus provides a smoke free environment but if you need to smoke a designated smoking area is available for use. Assistance with transfer from the ward to the designated smoking area will need to be sought from family members and/ or friends as staff are not permitted to provide assistance.
Please talk to your admitting doctor if you require nicotine replacement treatment during your stay in hospital.
Great care has been taken to provide our patients with an extensive, nutritious and varied menu. Special diets for medial, religious or personal reasons can be arranged in consultation with the nursing staff. Please advise the nursing staff if you have any special requirements.